4 - The Breakdown - WV thru Western PA

Day 2: I went to bed on day 1 knowing I had a problem. So I woke up and routed toward the nearest town: Elkins, WV.

I passed a KTM dealer in Elkins, but then hung a U-turn to stop at a Yamaha dealer. They wouldn't have parts, but may be able to help. A piece had fallen off the bike and getting a replacement wasn't happening.


A big guy named Angel knew a Chopper builder across town that had a bunch of old junked bikes out back. Angel took off and came back with a part from a 70-something Honda and checked to
see if it would fit. Sure enough, I was back on the road in less than two hours.

Next stop, the Johnstown Flood Memorial. I knew the flood was deadly, but had no idea how many people died. Over 2,200 people died on May 31st, 1889.


The memorial really makes one think about how differently people lived 100 years ago. I had plenty of sunshine from Johnstown to Punxsutawney.


I'm not sure what it means to be "The Weather Capital of the World," but perhaps it means that every establishment must have some form of Groundhog figurine.





 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There were a lot of cool little towns in PA and even though the roads were awful, the scenery was fantastic. One little town was having a festival and the sunny weather contributed to a great turnout.


I made it to Western PA to a town called Marionville. There was a National Forest there and it was only a few miles from town. The small town caters to snowmobilers each winter. During the summer, it's pretty empty. I was excited to find some wood, split kindling and start a fire.
 
 







I don't look excited; the perils of self-photography with a 10 second timer. Actually, I was thrilled to be camped in a National Forest with ample firewood and a sharp axe. Not to mention a HUGE dinner complete with salad, garlic bread and an edible garnish.



In Marionville, I picked up some pasta with chicken and a few beers. After setting up camp, I enjoyed dinner and drinks and a great night's sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

Next:  5   -  Another Breakdown and Riding Snowmobile Trails

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I met you outside of Dawson's Downtown tonight, January 19th. I've been reading through your blog and looking at the fantastic pictures. I hope this summer holds similar experiences for me.