3 - Leaving Winston-Salem for the Great North Woods and Canada

I spent a lot of time and effort in preparing the old bike for this trip. I've got 10 days to head north before heading to the Carolina coast to vacation with my family. The trip serves three purposes:

  • To test the mechanical reliability of the bike
  • To finally see Maine (I've been to 46 of the lower 48)
  • To evaluate my list of gear before heading to Alaska
I committed myself to back roads. No interstates and limited highway use. I'd ride for 8 days and then use the GPS to calculate the time to return home. I wanted two 700 mile days via interstate to get home. That way I could stick to back roads and then have a couple of high mileage days to get home quickly.

Time to leave.



In a 55 liter dry-bag, I've packed my camping gear:

  • Tent: A Eureka Apex 3XT (I've had it since 1998 and spent over 350 nights in it.)
  • Sleeping Bag: A North Face 30 degree bag
  • Pad: Therma-Rest Luxury
  • Pillow: Kelty Camp Pillow
  • Axe
In the saddlebags:
  • Pair of jeans
  • 2 t-shirts (synthetic Under Armor)
  • 4 pair of socks - Gold Toe Boot Socks
  • Baseball Cap - Charlottesville, VA Public Radio
  • Crocs
  • Vasque Hiking Boots
  • Food: Craisins, Granola Bars, Trail Mix
  • Water: 3 Nalgene Bottles

The Route: Day 1

220 N. thru Martinsville, Covington, & Hot Springs VA.

I camped at sunset off route 39, a tiny road that leaves Hot Springs and enters West Virginia. I camped just a couple miles from the border as thunderstorms rolled in.

The raindrops fell while the tent went up quickly. I snapped the first picture of the trip and climbed into my tent to watch a spectacular thunderstorm with an awesome lightning show.

 

 

 

Next4   -  Breakdown WVa thru Western PA

No comments: