36 - Update

Wow. Where to begin.

After getting back to the Lower 48, I spent two days working on my bike at Paul and Sheryl's place in Tacoma before heading to the Seattle area to visit Michael and Tricia for two days. Since then, I've been riding. Really really riding; riding far and riding obscure roads.

This morning I'm sitting at a great breakfast place in Wichita. From Washington to Denver, I rode over four thousand miles. I could have ridden home and back, but instead, I rode all over the Northwest and the Rockies.

While in Northwest Washington, near the Makah Nation, the most Northwest point in the Lower 48, it really hit me.

Until then, I'd just been an adventurer, riding all over the place. It hadn't dawned on me how unusual this trip really is. Since returning to the Lower 48, I've rarely bought myself a beer. Everywhere I go, people offer to by my drinks. In Alaska, Pierre and Julia bough lunch for me and I thought it was really nice, but unusual. Since returning to the Lower 48, I've had people pick up several tabs for me. Right now, I'm eating breakfast in Wichita, on the house. The waiter heard my story and then the owner comped my meal. Wow.

Camping is the exception now and not the rule. Not only have I had several offers of places to stay, but I've also become comfortable riding into a town and meeting people and asking for a place to stay. Last night in Wichita, I met a great group of people and ended up going out and celebrating my birthday, Kansas style. (Thanks Kyle & Heather)

In CA, I had a very unfortunate event that changed my trip for sure. I lost one of my dry bags. It flew off my bike and is lost forever (over a cliff.) In it, were all my riding gear. Over $1,200 worth of stuff is gone. It was stuff that I really needed too. My rain gear, my riding pants, leather vest, full-faced helmet, gloves, insulating layers, postcards, gifts and souvenirs. Oh well, it is what it is and I'm without all that stuff. I changed my route home to include warm weather. That's another reason I'm so happy to be in the Southwest and now Midwest, it's warm here!

Riding the Pacific coast was a blast and ID, UT, CO and NM are amazing. After riding over a dozen mountain passes, the plains were a welcome sight. I loved riding the Rockies, but I'm tired. It's hard work tossing around a 1,000 pound motorcycle for 12 hours a day at elevations of up to 12,000 feet. Today, I'm going to kick back with my feet on the highway pegs and just relax.

In Oregon, I spent a day hanging out with some fine folks and cruising though town in a '52 Studebaker.

In Humboldt County California, I met some great people who showed me around and told me about some great back roads through the California mountains.

In Idaho, I rode mountains and saw scenery that made me awe-struck.

In Utah, I met some great people at the Dinosaur Haus pub and got to ride a dirt bike!

In Colorado, I rode mountain passes that would make some people ill. It was so wonderful. I also met some fantastic people at The Candlelight and had an unbelievable time in Denver (Thanks Joss!)

I also got to go and see and hang out in a house in the Colorado mountains that is owned by someone in the Busch family. The place is a tribute to Budweiser. It is an amazing place with stunning views. A welcome rest from the road to be sure.

In New Mexico, it was often hard to believe that I was still in the United States. The scenery and terrain are so distinct and different from the surrounding states. It is so cool there, if you want a place to ride that is both challenging and surreal, head to New Mexico.

The plains are beautiful. Riding across North Dakota, (it seems like forever ago) was so much fun. It's cool to see the southern portion of the Great Plains.

One of the best things about this trip is not just seeing the country, but seeing it at once as opposed to a week a year over many years. Comparing and contrasting the many wonderful places in this great country is truly a wonderful experience.

I've met so many beautiful people in so many wonderful places.

To be sure, I'll sit down and write about the stories. But for now, this quick update is all I have.

Thanks to everyone who's hosted me or taken care of me during the last month.

Warmest regards,

Aaron

PS - posting pictures takes a lot of time, so for now, this is all I can do.

The road where I lost my gear.

One of the many gravel roads I've ridden since returning to the Lower 48. I've ridden gravel in WA, OR, CA, ID, UT, CO, NM, and KS.

From The Craters of The Moon

 

Next:  37  -  My Camera is Toast.  It's a Sad Day on the OldWing

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so-o-o glad to hear that wonderful people have extended hospitality to our oldest. Thank you & God's blessings on your home.
Connie

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, A. Having a wonderful trip. Cant wait to hear about it live.
Grandpa

Fun Memories said...

Aaron, It was sooo cool having you in our home for your 33rd birthday. What fun listening to your stories and seeing pix. Sorry your belt got swiped but we will recover it and get it to you. Have a safe and fun rest of the trip. Love, Aunt Linda, Uncle Steve, and the Morgan cousins