37 - Update: My Camera is Toast : It's a Sad Day on The Oldwing

Today is a sad day. Losing my riding gear in California was a real bummer, but nothing like having my camera bite the dust. For the last five months, I've been riding around on my old motorcycle and taking pictures. The people are great, the scenery amazing, and the camera is the unifying instrument that has made my journey so special. At times, I've ridden 50 miles to photograph a waterfall because someone described it as spectacular. The trip has been all about the people and the pictures.

Today it quit working. Totally flat-lined.

Though horribly disappointed, I can't say that I'm upset. The camera has been around my neck for over 30,000 miles. Miles and miles of gravel, frost heaves, potholes, mountains, valleys, rain, sand, and even hail. It would have been nice if it made it back from the trip while still functioning, but it's held up though an awful lot.

In spite of today's unpleasant beginning, I still whole-heartedly recommend the Panasonic FZ-series.

The trip is about over, but then my job search begins. Hopefully it will take me to many interesting places; places that I'd have loved to photograph.

Here are a few of the last pictures taken with my trusty camera.

After leaving Kansas and Missouri, I headed South and rode through Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. After a long ride in North GA and TN, I showed up virtually unannounced and my buddy Tom greeted me with a place to stay, the world's most comfortable chair, and a bottle of scotch. Now that's hospitality!

We hung out and had a great time. Thanks Tom!

Once again, I showed up to stay with someone and immediately asked to borrow clothes. I'm not sure if my t-shirts were flea infested, but they certainly hadn't been clean for a long time.

Clean cotton clothes and single-barrel scotch are like peas and carrots... though admittedly with fewer vitamins. (So not so much like vegetables at all.)

Here's Tom with an ode to Johnny Walker.

I left Asheville early and rode like a banshee straight to Charlottesville to meet up with my buddies. Flights started arriving around noon, and I didn't want to miss out on the fun.

After a weekend with UVA football and Wahoo-style tailgates, I set off for Ohio.

Before the weekend, while sitting in a cafe in Rome Georgia, I double counted to make sure I'd been to 40 states. Alas, I'd been mistaken. GA didn't make 40, but only 39. So I rode to Ohio on Monday, as I'd missed it on the way West.

Two days of riding in WVA was a blast, and then I spent a night on the Blue Ridge Parkway... where my camera bit the dust.

So no fall pictures of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

There are so many beautiful mountain ranges that I've been so lucky to see on this trip. And the Blue Ridge Mountains are still the most wonderful sight.

Here is a picture from the Appalachian's near Highlands, NC. Atlanta to Asheville is about 2-3 hours. I managed to make it take 13. Keeping to roads without painted lines is a great way to travel. Well, roads with no lines and a camera around one's neck is the way to travel.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here's one from the mountains in Tennessee. I was so happy to cross the NC line that I pulled over and sat down in a Mom & Pop's restaurant and when the waitress handed me the menu I simply said: "Salt & Pepper Catfish, Hush Puppies, and Sweet Tea."

 

Being out West was amazing and I am committed to going back, but life without Sweet Tea and Hush Puppies isn't an easy life to get used to.

Months without regular access to running water wasn't as hard to get used to as months without Sweet Tea and Hush Puppies.

Before getting to Asheville, and while my camera still worked, I stopped by The Atlanta Brewing Company to see my buddy Dave.

Check out that fine new Kettle, hand made by craftsmen in British Colombia.

Taken with this camera, I have 10,181 pictures. That's over 10,000 pictures that I haven't deleted!

 

 

 

 

My guess is that I've taken nearly 20,000 pictures in the last year. Not bad for the old Panasonic.

Just before B-School, my old SLR died and my little sister gave me one of her SLR cameras. And it died. I'd hoped to give her my camera when I replaced it. Sorry Hannah.

As soon as possible, I'll get a Canon Rebel Body or Nikon Body and three lenses. The photographic skills I learned on this trip will allow me to get even better pictures with a real Digital SLR. The Panasonic was the next best thing to an SLR and I really do wish that it hadn't died.

Just as leaf-looking season begins nonetheless.

 

 

 

Next:  38  -  Back in Carolina with the Goldwing in the Garage

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sad, too. But you have to be happy about those 10,000+ for the trip. The pictures make the blog. You have done a great job & accomplished a big goal. I am proud of you, #1 son.

Anonymous said...

I almost cried while reading this...that camera was like an old friend. You got very good use out of it, it served its purpose for the last 30,000 miles and it will forever document this wonderful trip! Another camera, another step in life! Good luck!! ~Little Sis, Hannah